Healthy Housing Research Institute

Hundreds of papers and reports have been written over the past five decades regarding negative health effects of electromagnetic fields, but much work remains to be done. One important topic where relatively little research has been done is that of safe housing. Most of those who are experiencing negative effects still want to enjoy the benefits of electric lighting, heating, cooling, and Internet access, if at all possible. A few of the possible topics of research are the following: Should we build new housing units using DC rather than AC? Should we switch to LED lights from incandescents? Should we have a Consumers Reports type testing lab where we test computers, monitors, and other electrical devices for the fields they produce? An early report of research conducted at EMSRI on this topic is available at electrical.pdf.

Additional research done up through early December, 2012, is in the .pdf document update120912.pdf.

I installed 12 strips of LED lights in one bedroom of a house at 745 Shaft in Rockvale, CO, located on the cul de sac at the entrance to the gulch. The nominal 12 VDC strips are connected in series-parallel to operate on a 24-28 VDC Allen-Bradley power supply. The result was a high efficiency, low electrical noise light source that produced very uniform lighting throughout the room. I think this is far and away the best way to provide lighting for those of us with EHS, and actually a superior lighting method for everyone. Results are in the .pdf document ledlighting.pdf.

One of the leaders in research on the effects of electromagnetic radiation on our health was Dr. Robert O. Becker, M.D. (May 31, 1923 to May 14, 2008). Two of his books, "The Body Electric - Electromagnetism and the Foundation of Life", William Morrow, New York, 1985, and "Cross Currents, The Perils of Electropollution - The Promise of Electromedicine", Jeremy P. Tarcher, Inc., Los Angeles, 1990, hold an honored place in my bookcase. I read them years ago and still remember details of Dr. Becker's research on regenerating bones and limbs. The books are available used on Amazon and are well worth purchasing and reading. Among Dr. Becker's other writings is "Electromagnetism & Life", State University of New York Press, 1982. This work also contains much of interest to those of us who are sensitive to electromagnetic radiation.

Housing for Sensitives should have very low electromagnetic fields inside, which means that the walls and roof should reflect a good portion of incident fields back into space, and then absorb as much of the remainder as possible before fields enter the living space. I am looking at the feasibility of altering concrete to make it into an adequate absorber, perhaps by using a different aggregate. Some preliminary results (up to January 1, 2013) are given in concrete.pdf. Five wall sections of different concrete recipes were poured in early summer of 2013. One used only sand from the gulch and Portland cement. One used Quikrete, purchased in 80 pound bags. The other three used various fractions of slag obtained from the steel mill in Pueblo. Abilities of each section to absorb microwave signals were measured. The slag based concretes were found to be very absorbing. Results are given in concrete2.pdf.